Note:Cockroach Labs supports the current stable release and two releases prior. Therefore, this version will no longer be supported after the Spring 2020 release.
September 17, 2018
Get future release notes emailed to you:
CHANGEFEEDs created with previous betas and alphas will not work with this version. #29559
- The experimental, non-recommended
kv.allocator.stat_rebalance_thresholdcluster settings have been replaced by an improved approach to load-based rebalancing that can be controlled via the new
kv.allocator.load_based_rebalancingcluster setting. By default, leases will be rebalanced within a cluster to achieve better QPS balance. #29663
SQL language changes
- Renamed the
EXPERIMENTAL_OPTsession setting to
OPTIMIZER. The default value is
ON, as before. #29530
- Special characters, such as newlines, are now formatted using
octal, instead of
hex, for compatibility with PostgreSQL. #29593
cockroachclient sub-commands (except for
cockroach workload) now support the
--verbosityflags, which were documented as being only useful by CockroachDB developers yet never actually used by CockroachDB developers. #30092
Admin UI changes
- Long table rows now wrap, when necessary. #29551
- Diagnostics requests are now proxied through Cockroach Labs to prevent exposing user IP addresses. #29194
- Added attributes to the login form to allow LastPass to properly recognize it. #29561
- Custom and regular charts now have the same width. #30083
- Improved the UX of the Custom Chart page, and added the ability to configure multiple independent charts. #30118
- Improved the design and accessibility of tooltips. #30115
- Various improvements to the Statements pages. #30115
- Simplified and cleaned-up the appearance.
- Added statement retries.
- Right-aligned all numeric stats.
- Added more tooltips, including for the By Gateway Node table on the Statement Details page.
- Improved tooltips by adding a legend detailing the parts of the bar chart.
- Highlighted summary rows.
- Improved table headers.
- Reordered tables to highlight the most useful data.
- Widened bar charts.
- When a statement fingerprint has sometimes failed, used the optimizer, or been distributed, the number of matching executions is now shown.
- Fixed a bug that would allow the cluster summary text in the Admin UI to overflow its space. #29548
- Corrected the behavior of
INSERT INTO t DEFAULT VALUESwhen there are active schema changes. #29496
- Fixed a race condition in
IMPORTwith a column that was a collated string. #29386
- Fixed crash caused by certain kinds of
UPSERT ... RETURNINGstatements on tables with active schema changes. #29543
CHANGEFEEDs now error when a watched table backfills (instead of undefined behavior). #29559
- Fixed a panic that occurs when verbose logging is enabled. #29534
- Fixed a panic caused by inserting values of the wrong type into columns depended on by computed columns. #29598
- Fixed an issue where, under severe load, clients were sometimes receiving retryable errors with a non-retryable error code. #29614
cockroach gen haproxycommand now recognizes nodes that specify the HTTP port number using
- Fixed a panic in SQL execution. #29669
- Fixed a panic caused by malformed UTF-8 SQL strings. #29668
- Corrected the Postgres
oidtype returned for collated string columns. #29674
CHANGEFEEDs now correctly skip the initial scan when started with the
- Hash functions with
NULLinput now return
- Prevented a very rare premature failure in
CHANGEFEEDs caused by a race condition with range splits. #30009
- Fixed a crash when
SELECT MIN(NULL)was run with the SQL optimizer enabled. #30014
- Fixed a rare crash with the message
retryable error for the wrong txn. #30046
- Fixed a bug where certain queries, like merge joins, would appear to run out of memory due to incorrect memory accounting and fail. #30087
string_agg()function can now accept a
NULLas a delimiter. #30076
- Range replicas are now automatically rebalanced throughout the cluster to even out the amount of QPS being handled by each node. #29663
- Prevented allocation when checking RPC connection health. #30055
- Updated the description of correlated subqueries. More updates coming soon. #3714
- Update the description of
cockroachclient connection parameters. #3715
- Added documentation of the
publicrole, which all users belong to. #3722
- Update the Diagnostics Reporting page with a summary of details reported and how to view the details yourself. #3737
This release includes 87 merged PRs by 23 authors. We would like to thank the following contributors from the CockroachDB community:
- Sankt Petersbug (first-time contributor)